How it works

CTP insurance is mandatory – in QLD, you nominate a CTP provider when you register your car.

If you, or anyone driving your car, causes an accident in which someone else is injured your CTP insurance covers the cost of their compensation claim. This includes other drivers, passengers, pedestrians, cyclists and motorcycle riders. It doesn’t cover damage to your, or anyone else’s, vehicle or property – for that you’ll need Car insurance.

When you choose QBE you’ll get the added peace of mind that comes with a DriverProtect policy*, free of charge. It provides up to $1 million in injury cover if you’re hurt in a serious at-fault accident.

*Free DriverProtect cover available for Class 1 & 6 vehicles for a registered owner aged 30 and over on a 12 month policy. A certificate with terms and conditions will be sent to you if you qualify. DriverProtect only covers where the driver of the vehicle is 25 years and over.

Need comprehensive car insurance too? Save $75 with QBE

Buy new Comprehensive Car Insurance online today and you’ll save $75. Find our best price when you get an online car insurance quote.

CTP and Green Slips explained


CTP insurance (known as a Green Slip in New South Wales) covers the cost of third party compensation claims, if you, or anyone driving your car, causes an accident in which someone else is injured.

Third parties who could claim against you include your passengers and other road users such as pedestrians, motorcyclists, cyclists, other drivers and their passengers. 

Read more

Frequently Asked Questions

CTP insurance is compulsory insurance privately underwritten by licensed insurers. It compensates third parties for bodily injury caused by other negligent ‘at-fault’ drivers. This cover includes the driver(s) and passengers in other car(s) involved in the accident, passengers in your car, pedestrians, cyclists and motorcycle riders.

Find out more in our article 'What is CTP insurance?'

The Queensland Government legislated in 1936 for CTP insurance to be made compulsory and provide protection to people injured as a result of the actions of other negligent drivers. The intention of the CTP coverage is to protect the injured person for ongoing medical and hospital costs, general damages, loss of income and, in the case of severe injuries, the ongoing care of the injured person which may be for the rest of their life.

As the title suggests, a third party is everyone else involved in the accident, which includes the drivers and passengers of all cars involved, pedestrians, cyclists and motorcycle riders.

Your CTP policy covers the cost of injuries to third parties if you’re an at-fault driver.

Your CTP policy only covers claims made against you for injuries to third parties in an accident. It doesn’t cover any accidental damage to the other car or to property, nor any damage to your car as a result of an accident.

If you’re injured in an accident and the driver of another car is deemed to be at-fault, you could be entitled to CTP insurance benefits. This would be covered by the insurer of the other car. If you’re at fault in the accident, you’ll have no cover under the Queensland CTP Scheme Legislation.

However, you may be entitled to receive support through the National Injury Insurance Scheme Queensland (NIISQ) if you've sustained a serious personal injury through a motor vehicle accident.

As long as your car is currently registered through the Department of Transport and Main Roads and therefore has a CTP policy in force, claims against you for your negligent driving will be managed on your behalf by your CTP insurer.

CTP insurance costs are set by the Queensland Government’s Motor Accident Insurance Commission on a quarterly basis. Rates take into account the frequency of accidents, the average claims costs for the class of car, whether or not the owner of the car has a right to claim a GST Input Tax Credit and an amount for the CTP insurer’s administration and claims handling costs.

There are two premiums for each class of car under the Queensland Scheme. ‘Private’ premiums (no Input Tax Credit entitlement) won’t provide you with a tax invoice and you won’t be able to claim the GST from the Australian Tax Office. ‘Business’ premiums (which have an Input Tax entitlement) will provide you with a tax invoice and you can claim the GST. Your Vehicle Registration Notice will show either (NO ITCE) for a ‘private’ premium or (YES ITCE) for a ‘business’ premium. If you believe your tax status is incorrect contact the Department of Transport and Main Roads on 13 23 80 (select Option 1 and then Option 3). They’ll issue a new Vehicle Registration Renewal Notice, which can take up to 14 days. Please note – if your vehicle registration expires during this change process you’ll be charged a loading for the late payment.  

DriverProtect cover is provided by some QLD CTP insurers to cover the at-fault driver injured or killed in an accident. This cover is additional to the CTP cover that is required under the Government State Legislation. DriverProtect policies cover the at-fault driver for serious permanent injuries such as quadriplegia, paraplegia, permanent total disablement, and loss of use of a limb, as well as death. DriverProtect doesn’t provide full CTP coverage such as loss of income, medical and rehabilitation costs and ongoing (possibly lifetime) care for the seriously injured.

There are differences in service levels and premiums. There are also differences in the DriverProtect cover. It’s important to decide which best meets your needs as the maximum claim per policy currently ranges from $250,000 up to $2 million.

It depends on the registration status of your car:

  • If you’re buying a brand new (or unregistered) car from a dealer, advise them of your choice of CTP insurer
  • If your CTP is due for renewal, you can choose your CTP insurer as long as the registration is not past the due date shown on the Renewal Notice. Call 133 723 to switch to QBE or refer to the back of the Vehicle Registration Notice for the payment and selection of CTP insurer options
  • If your car is currently registered interstate you can select your new CTP insurer when you register your car in Queensland
  • If your car is currently unregistered you can choose your CTP provider. Call us on 133 723 for more information.

If you purchase CTP insurance but don’t register your car with the Department of Transport and Main Roads within 30 days, simply return the original certificate to your CTP insurer for a full refund on your premium. If you’re mid-term through your registration period, you need to cancel your CTP policy with the Department of Transport and Main Roads. Any refund will be included in your registration refund cheque from the Department when you hand in your registration plates.

If your car is registered when you sell it, your CTP insurance automatically transfers to the new owner with the registration. If you sell an unregistered car, any refund for your CTP insurance will be included in your registration refund cheque from the Department of Transport and Main Roads when you hand in your registration plates.

Yes. The Department of Transport and Main Roads has introduced a one-month registration renewal option. To find out more, visit the TMR website.

You might also be interested in...

Car insurance - Young man reflected in a car side mirror

Car insurance

Flexible, great value car insurance for every-day Australians. Choose between two easy-to-understand covers from a 2020 award-winning insurer.

Motorcycle insurance tile two men with motorbike in shop

Motorcycle insurance

Flexible cover for your motorcycle, delivered by experts. Choose QBE and enjoy our price guarantee: if a competitor gives you a lower quote, we’ll beat it (terms and conditions apply).

Vehicle insurance caravan back doors open onto water scene
Caravan insurance

Comprehensive protection for your little piece of home – on the road, at a caravan park or at home. We cover caravans, camper trailers, motorhomes and more.

The advice on this website has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. You must decide whether or not it is appropriate, in light of your own circumstances, to act on this advice. You should ensure you obtain and consider the Product Disclosure Statement for the policy before you make any decision to acquire it.

Need more help?

Call us at 133 723

Mon-Fri 8am-7pm, Sat 8am-1:30pm (AEST)