Car stolen, damaged or in an accident?
Immediately after an accident you must:
- Prevent further damage to your car and keep it secure
- Get the full name and address of each person involved
- Get the registration numbers of any vehicles involved
- Report the incident to the police if your car is stolen or deliberately damaged.
- Your QBE policy number
- The name, address, phone number, email address, licence number and insurer of other drivers involved
- The name and contact details for the owner of other vehicles involved if not the driver at the time
- The registration number of other vehicles involved in the accident
- Details of the accident such as the date and time, location, weather conditions at the time.
If your vehicle has been towed to a vehicle storage yard, please tell your claims officer to help us deal with your claim more efficiently.
To assess your claim we’ll review the accident and let you know if we need any more information. We'll also contact any other parties involved. If you receive any correspondence from them, please send it to your claims officer.
We'll then refer you to the closest QBE Accredited Smash Repairer to progress your claim. If your vehicle is in a storage yard, we'll arrange for it to be assessed there or move it to the nearest QBE Accredited Smash Repairer. If your car is safe to drive, the repairer will call you about dropping it off to start repairs.
When we appoint a QBE Accredited Smash Repairer to repair your car, you can rest assured that:
- Your car will be assessed without hassle – just take your car to our accredited repairer, give them your claim number and we’ll take care of the rest
- Our repairers are properly licensed and qualified to deliver quality repairs and service
- We’ll guarantee the quality of workmanship and materials used in repairs authorised and managed by us for as long as you own your car.
If you choose a different repairer, you may need to manage the process yourself.
Your repairer will be your primary contact while your car’s being fixed. How long it takes will depend on a number of factors like the extent of the damage to your car and the availability of parts. If you have any other questions during this time, please contact QBE.
Once your car’s been repaired or we've declared it a total loss, you may need to pay an excess. We'll tell you what's applicable when you lodge your claim.
Our repair guarantee means we’ll guarantee the quality of workmanship and materials used in repairs authorised and managed by us, for as long as you own your car.
The excess is usually paid to the repairer once they’ve completed their work. If your car's declared a total loss, we'll deduct any applicable excess from the amount we pay for your claim.
In some instances, there may be no damage to your car, but you may still be liable for damage to other vehicles or property. If this happens, you’ll need to pay your excess directly to QBE for us to manage the process on your behalf.
Check out the Additional Information Guide that applies to your policy for examples of how an excess can apply to a policy.
Frequently Asked Questions
You shouldn't drive your car if it’s:
- Obviously not safe to drive
- Unroadworthy due to the damage
- Lights have been damaged
- Radiator is leaking
- Engine or transmission has been damage
- Temperature gauge is too high
- Been damaged and interferes with normal driving.
If your car needs to be repaired, that’s where our QBE Accredited Smash Repairer gets to work. Our hand-picked nationwide repairer network has been chosen for a reason; they’ll take care of you and your car, so you have a great claims experience. We’ve selected them because they have the right knowledge, skills and equipment, so you can trust their service and safe repairs.
If the Choice of Repairer option is included in the policy your claiming on, you can choose your own repairer.
All QBE Accredited Smash Repairers are committed to providing our customers with priority service and must meet our standards. These include carrying out quality inspections, maintaining professional business premises and using the latest equipment to repair your car.
They'll also wash and vacuum your car to make sure it's nice and tidy before you pick it up.